Tuesday, April 17, 2012

“Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit.”



It’s been an interesting past week. Let me start with the job fair. I went into the Anchorage job fair not expecting much. I knew that I wanted a position on the east coast and was simply hoping to land some interviews simply to get some experience at the interviewing process. I started out at the job fair completely overwhelmed. There were so many people and school districts. It was very competitive. Luckily, my roommate jumped right in and forced me to jump in with her. At lunch time I had not had a single interview. My peers had interviews from the beginning. Of course, I was frustrated by this but it didn’t take long after lunch to get some interviews going. The interviews went too! I was surprised to hear the interviewers compliment me after each interview. I feel that this school has really prepared me for this process. I ended up being offered two jobs, Point Hope and Savoonga Alaska. Just last night I received and email offering me a spot in St. Michaels. I feel blessed that the schools are interested in me but these are very remote and…not located in the lower 48.


Sunday, after two days of the job fair, I left Anchorage and landed in Nome, Alaska. This was just a small stop on the way to White Mountain. WM is located about 3 degrees below the Arctic Circle and has about 200 people, Inupiaq (Eskimo), Yupik, and Athabascan. I’m sleeping in the school for the week and observing the life style here.
It was a great first day in White Mountain.  I was picked up from the dirt road that the plane landed on by snow machines (snowgoes as they call them here). Those of us arriving hopped on the sleds and enjoyed the ride into own. We settled in quickly at the school and even attended church Sunday evening. The people here are very nice.
Yesterday I observed several small classrooms and then ventured out into the village. Some fishermen brought back four seals to share with the elders and villagers. This is common. They often bring back their catch, take what they want, and leave the rest on the shoreline, by the water. Then everyone in the community can pick off what they want and take it home. That was cool to see. Our white culture is so self-centered compared to villages like this one. The ground is still very much covered in about 4 feet deep, compacted snow. When we arrived back at the school several kids and families were enjoying the snow, sledding and snowmachining. Another student hit up the village store and brought back a bag of jelly, an orange, peanut butter, and a frozen cheeseburger for 50 bucks. I’m glad I brought my own food along!
This morning I hiked up the local mountain that the town is named for…White Mountain. I reached the top just as the sun was rising. It was gorgeous. The principal said that foxes were running wild on the mountain about 5 minutes prior to me heading up there. I’m sad I missed it but the view was amazing. You can see for miles and miles. There is nothing around but the tiny village and miles of snow, mountains and trees.
Overall, the trip is going well. It’s hard not to get bored after all the kids and teachers leave for the evening. Sports are what keep this town active but the gym is being occupied by visiting military. It’s off limits in the evening to everyone but the military. So, I’ve been spending time on the slowwww internet and reading books until I fall asleep. The sun is currently rising at about 6:30 am and setting completely at about 11:30 pm or after. Not long before this village is lit up 24/7.

No comments: