Monday, February 20, 2012

It's okay not to be okay...


Well, week two at the helm of class has just finished and it was a crazy ride. Imagine being trapped in a room with thirty hyperactive monkeys. Yes, that is exactly what my week was like. Valentine’s Day was on Tuesday and all the kids were hyped up on candy all week. My class turned into a freak show. Kids were acting weird. The boys were really emotional and several broke out in tears. The girls were really bitchy and hateful. They were all picking at each all week. It wasn’t all mean behavior though. At times, they were hopping over chairs and attacking each other with paper made light-sabers. When given an inch they took a mile. Because of this, I had to play the mean teacher all week. There was very little wiggle room for my nice side to show.
Monday, before Valentine’s Day, we did have a bit of fun. I showed the kids an animated video that I made. Then they were given missions and had to work in pairs to answer questions and place landmarks on the class map of Alaska. They thought it was really fun and they loved the animated video! It was a success. However, the rest of the week was a struggle. I had one kid punch and kick the bookshelf because he didn’t like an assignment. He was sent to the office to cool down. The following day he was in a wonderful mood. Unfortunately, when he is in a good mood he is almost harder to handle than when he is in a terrible mood. His good moods consist of cracking jokes constantly, impulsivity and the need to interrupt everything I say in class. He couldn’t sit still and he couldn’t help from throwing things at peers across the room, tapping things constantly on his desk, and veering the entire class off topic whenever he could. I have moments where I just want him to be taken out of my class. Then, I see him after school pacing the playground, alone, in large circles and whispering to himself. I know that there is more going on inside this kid’s head than anyone knows. All we can do at school is manage him the best we can and try our best to help. He has actually made a lot of progress since last year. This is a kid who once refused to use his hands for two years! Now, he is writing and typing creative stories. That’s progress! I’m learning a great deal from him as well!

 (Watching Animation)
 (Working Together on Mapping Mission)
 (Kids did all this alone!)
(Finished Product taped down)
On to my life, I know I rarely talk about what’s happening outside of the classroom anymore. That’s because I am rarely outside of the classroom in general! Elementary school> home>Homework>college courses>Bed>Repeat.
This week is a bit different though. Today is President’s Day, tomorrow and Wednesday are parent teacher conferences. This means that, besides meeting with parents, I have two more days left until I have to teach again. That’s great! I have time to get caught up and get lesson plans set! Yesterday a fellow student teacher invited me to go on a hike with her. We took her dog up a trail. It was cold but I had a good time and we got to vent about our program and students and such. Ha Ha. While it was really fun, I’m not feeling the best today. Throat is sore, running nose, coughing, not much of a voice. This is not the most opportune time to get sick so I’m popping vitamin C like M&Ms.
Overall, I’m hanging tough. Daylight is growing with each day. That makes spring seem closer. However, looking out the window right now I see rain/snow/sleet mix crap that reminds me that winter has her nails dug in deep and will not go without a fight. It’s weird that I loved this weather when I first moved here. I loved the snow and the rain. Now, I’m worn down and ready for a change. The dark and cold winters cause everyone to walk around like depressed zombies. I have learned that the best way to fight depression in winter is to get out in the terrible weather. That is what I am doing right now! I’m bundling up and heading to the used bookstore to meet a friend. Then I have to return home for an evening college course.
Until next time…

No comments: