Tuesday, October 14, 2008

UPDATE!

Last week I received my letter of acceptance to the University of Alaska Southeast. It said that paperwork and other information would be on the way via mail. I was of course excited and have been checking the mail everyday since. Also last week, I received my transfer credit evaluation through email. I was told that only 33 of my 64 credits would transfer from UCM to UAS. This really had me worried because I hated to think that 31 of my credits were a waste of money and time. It was really a set back. I emailed back (thanks to my mom, who thought that sounded absurd) my concerns and questions as to why this was so. At the beginning of this week I received an email back. Turns out the evaluator had missed several of my classes and did a re-evaluation. Guess what? 59 of my 64 credits will transfer with no problems. That is great news! BUT thats not all. Also, delivered by mail today was my Financial aid evaluation. It is costly, with out of state tuition being twice that of UCM. However, I think the experience will be worth it. The school has approved me for loans to cover all the expenses. I don't plan on taking all the loans. UAS has a work study program, as do many universities, and I plan on signing up for that. This way I wont get too far in debt before getting out of school. So far, everything is falling into place fairly well. Keep praying please! I am far from ready to get up and leave. A lot is still up in the air. OH that reminds me! I need to get my passport started!! EEK

<3Melissa

1 comment:

Mark said...

You asked about the darkness situation in Alaska.

Here, a few degrees south of Juneau, daylight in winter is from about 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. I've been in Anchorage a couple of times in winter, there is daylight up there as well.

One of the problems in Southeast is that clouds and rain frequently obscure what daylight exists. Unlike the fall months, winter generally has more nice days (but each year is different).

Many people around here purchase and use sun lamps. I've taken a different route. I've replaced nearly all of the main light fixtures in our house with daylight (5100K) full-spectrum compact flourescents. Our house does look odd at night, because we glow white instead of yellow. But I think that the dingy yellow from traditional incandescents can conribute to the gloom factor for thoes prone to winter blues.

Thanks for asking, and hope I've been able to (ahem) shed some light!