Saturday, December 4, 2010

“Follow effective action with quiet reflection. From the quiet reflection will come even more effective action.”

When you sign up to go on exchange and are researching schools there are things that you never get told. For example, no one told me that the mosquitoes in St. Thomas (in the VI in general) can carry Dengue fever, which gives flu like symptoms but can kill you rather quickly if not treated. They never told me that the power never stays on for a full day. I didn't know that housing provided by the school does not have air conditioning. -Now I am not one of those "girly girls" who can't get dirt under her nails. However, when it is 110 degrees outside and you have to walk up and down several flights of stairs to get to classes, it sucks to come home to a sauna for a bedroom. - There are also the tarantulas. Did anyone else know they have those down here? I missed that memo.
I have had to deal with being a minority. I knew it would be different from what I was used to but I didn't think it would change my life. Teachers taught how horrible white people were in all of my classes. I had to remind myself that slavery in the Virgin Islands lasted longer then in the United States. I thought that the food here would be amazing. But I was completely wrong about that. See, the majority of the island is poor (considered third world). The cafeteria food reflects this.
I could go on and on about my expectations and how horribly the island missed the mark. But in all reality I have have changed so much from this environment. I have grown more independent and more self confident. I have been in the shoes of a minority now and while I have never treated other races differently, I have grown a new respect for them. I can't imagine living my whole life with people constantly watching me and judging me because of my skin color. I have learned about friendship, even if it is short lived before we all return to our homes. Most importantly I have learned that change is always good. Good for the mind and soul even though it may mean making huge adjustments in ones life.
As finals begin and my flight home rapidly approaches I have found myself becoming sad. The weather here has been 70-80 degrees with what the locals call Christmas Breezes blowing steadily. This is the start of St. Thomas' main tourism season and I can see why people enjoy this time of the year. The sun is still ripe and hot enough to tan but the ocean water temperature has dropped enough to actually cool you off when you hop in. I will miss the white sandy beaches. The island is a direct extension of the beauty of God's hands. And while I have found some of the locals to be less then welcoming, I found a group of friends who share the beauty and the pain.
The return to Missouri is going to be a time of transition. It is December 4th and the sound of Christmas songs still seems foreign to me. However, it will be nice to have family nearby and a sense of security. Part of me misses Alaska too but part of me is dreading going back. I return in the middle of winter to a semester of tough classes and a great lack of sun. It is funny to think that this time next year I will be job searching. Having all this time in the VI to think, I have decided that I will most likely not be teaching in AK. While the pay is great, I have too many other places I want to see. I think that is another reason I am sad to leave. While the VI has been tough, I have had this sense of discovering new things. I feel like I should spend the holidays with family and then head on to my next adventure. Unfortunately, I have to finish school first. (what a bore! lol). On the grand scheme of things does that mean I will return to Missouri after graduation? Uh..No. What about the east coast? or West! or any of the vast amount of land in between! One thing I know for sure is that the location will have at least one thunderstorm a year and will, of course, have basketball!

No comments: