Saturday, March 26, 2011

Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does. -William James

(You know it's spring when these fliers are popping up everywhere.)

It has been a busy few weeks. My advisor's class is wrapping up which means I have some big projects due soon. My multicultural education class is still taking up a good majority of my time but I have added a political economy class to the mix. This 100lvl class on the US economy is kicking my butt. Not only does it require a lot of work for a 100lvl class, its not easy work either. To top it off, it is BORING. I find it so hard to read these four books on how money flows through our businesses and government. My eyelids tend to get very heavy because I really don't care. I know that is horrible to say, that I don't care about something so vital to our political system. However, I have bigger fish to fry. ( I worry about money enough as it is. No need to worry about a class about money. Sigh)
Let's start with summer plans. As of right now it looks like I will be taking an incomplete on this political economy class due to crazy book ordering circumstances. I will also have an incomplete in my multicultural education class because it is set up to end in July. Plus, I will have a children's literature class that starts in may. To top it off, I will be working full time back at Era Helicopters. Luckily, I think I will be able to stay on campus for summer housing. We are supposed to have six credits in order to stay and my transcript will only show that I have 3. The six credits I have of "incompletes" wont show up. Right now, it doesn't seem like it will be a big deal. We will see....
Summer housing will cost $2,800. That is without the cost of my classes. Luckily, I have some money saved up but I guess we all know where my tax refund will be going. Right back into school! YAY. No fancy new clothes, no new computer, no fun flights out of town, but that is okay. Hopefully, I will pay off the school quickly and can save the money I make working at Era this year. Then I will be able to take a mini vacation when my schedule isn't so hectic and I can actually afford it. I also have to save up some money for the traveling I will have to do this next year, job interviews, job fairs and spending some time in the "bush" region of Alaska. It's expensive getting around up here.
I've been trying to tell myself not to look at the big picture. Sometimes you just have to take one day at a time because the bigger picture is way to stressful and just too complicated to think about. At the same time, I have a year until graduation and a lot that has to happen before then, including some tough decisions. right now I am trying to come to terms with giving up a good pay check in order to move back to the lower 48 and start my career there. I think that AK is one of the only states that pays new teachers well. While my mind changes weekly, if not daily, I think I have decided that what is best for me has nothing to do with income. Right now, what is best for me is moving back to the lower 48. Living on the east or west coast is still Much Much Much closer than living all the way up here. (People don't realize how far north AK really is and how expensive it is to get in and out of this state.) Surely I'll be able to find a job in ONE of those 45 states down there. I've taken out New York, Idaho, and Utah because those states will never see my resume. Ha!
I need to be back in a world that has storms and enjoys sports. (Get this. I went to the lodge a few weeks ago and some of the passing guys actually complained that I was watching ESPN. For Real!) Anyways, I just need to be a little closer to my family too.
Alright, on to the less depressing stuff. I have a new roommate. She has been moving in over the past couple of days and is going to make a great fit with the three of us. It is always nice to have a fresh new smiling face around. We are the same age, so it is nice to have someone around who has the same maturity level as me and understands what it is like to be in school at the age of 23/24 when everyone else is graduating at 21. She has also gone on exchange to a few different places so we have already had the chance to discuss our exchange experiences.
On another happy note, I currently have A's in all of my classes, making long tough strides towards graduating with honors. I'm heading in to observe my host teachers classroom again this next week, which is always exciting. I can't waiting to dig in and get my hands dirty.
I think that is about all for now. I have to get back to this never ending amount of homework!

"Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward." -Victor Kiam

No comments: