Sunday, May 1, 2011

As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil. - James 4:16

I had just finished my Political Economy homework and was making a 'to do' list for tomorrow (Monday) when I noticed a twitter comment. All it said was "Anyone know why Obama is suddenly giving a speech?" I don't have a TV and was tempted to just ignore the comment. I figured it had something to do with the tornadoes in the south and the damage they left behind, or the rising gas prices (which are $4.20 at the cheapest places here). Curiosity got to me though and I clicked on the twitter comment to open it, which showed the various replies that had been made. One said that it was about national security. One said that President Obama just wanted to interrupt Donald Trumps show. One said that Osama Bin Laden had been killed.
My mind stopped for a moment before flashing back to September 11th, 2001. I was in school (8th grade) and the teachers had been advised over an intercom not to turn on the TV. Every teacher,except mine, turned on the footage of the attacks. Class was let out shortly after and everyone was talking about what they had seen...some were crying...some laughing. I was confused. It wasn't until I returned home and sat down in front of the TV that I realized what had happened. The news channel kept playing shot after shot of the airplanes hitting the towers and the pentagon. I didn't know what the Twin Towers were or the Pentagon at that time. However, I did know that an attack had happened on the Unstoppable, Unbreakable, All Mighty American soil... My thoughts about security changed at the moment. During the day I would wonder what would happen if bombs hit the neighboring towns. Would it blow down our schools? Would they be writing books about the poor American children like they did about the Japanese kids after we dropped the atomic bomb? I remember wondering if we should move out of the country, but what other country is safer than the United States?
My mind came rushing back as I dialed my family members to ask what their TVs were saying. It was true. President Obama was scheduled to speak about the death a few moments later. Then I rushed to the campus housing lodge. There I sat, alone in the dark, staring up at the anchors debating about how Osama Bin Laden was killed. Debating how President Obama would look when he gave his speech. I was waiting for them to start pointing fingers as to which political party should get credit for this historic event. Finally, Obama made his way to the podium and gave his speech. I was happy to hear the way it ended.
"Let us remember that we can do these things not just because of wealth or power, but because of who we are: one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Thank you. May God bless you. And may God bless the United States of America."

I didn't want to cheer. I didn't want to dance. It seems weird to celebrate someone dieing. I know this person was responsible for killing innocent people but it was hard to watch the anchors smile as if the war is over and as if WE were finally going to also stop killing innocent people in the name of justice. I have a sinking feeling in my stomach that this could just be the beginning. You know, that feeling after you have just pulled off the best prank ever but now you have to watch your back because the returning prank is bound to be twice as grand.
I love my troops. I love my country. But I cannot sit around cheering about someone who was just killed. Instead, I am going to pray for our country, our troops, our leaders and for ALL the families that have lost loved ones in this war...Not just Americans.

"Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring." -Proverbs 27:1

No comments: