Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

I think it's Sunday, right? The days and weeks have been running together lately. Most of the time I have no idea what the date is. However, I went to church today so I KNOW it is Sunday.
This past week started off with me running a few errands. I sent Mother's Day cards out and a baby shower gift to a close friend, all back in Missouri. I ran by the school to scan and fax a few pieces of homework. Then ran to the gym where I (literally) ran some more. The day was devoted to getting everything caught up before starting work.
That's right, work started for me on Tuesday. I work at a helicopter company, as most that read this blog know. We are seasonal and fly tourists to the middle of the Juneau Ice Field to walk on glaciers or go dog sledding. Anyways, I showed up and was greeted by the base manager. For some reason this guy intimidates me. He is slightly awkward and doesn't smile often. He also does this weird eyebrow twitch when he talks to you and his eyes never seem to blink. All that combined makes me want to avoid conversing with him, if possible. But there I was walking towards the helipad when I noticed he was heading my way, his eyes seemingly glued open. He stopped me to ask if I wanted to take a different position at the base. A little bit later we sat and spoke in the dispatch area about two options. I was offered two different positions, one which I would be inside tracking helicopters by GPS, answering phones, updating the tour schedule, and listening for emergencies. The other was just a step up from my current job. Instead of fueling helicopters, loading passengers, and doing manifests, I would be supervising it all. I enjoy being outside, so I took the latter.
My new title is Assistant Supervisor (AKA Lead Ground Crew). My new uniform consists of a glaringly bright orange (construction like) coat or jacket, and a headset with a microphone (I don't do this job to look pretty lol). I have to stand on the helipad and tell the pilots where or where not to land. I also do fuel inspections now, every morning. Besides a ton of odd jobs, I am just in charge of making sure everyone below me is doing a good job. We have some great workers this year and I am excited for the season.
My training has already started. Just yesterday the President of Disney Cruises came through. This is Disney's first year coming through Alaska and we are the only company they are flying with. On the flip side, they are really picky and I thought there would be more children. Maybe later in the season.
So, here I am on my one day off this week, writing this blog about my promotion, when I should probably be doing homework. YES I am still doing homework. Graduation was last weekend but my classes are lingering on a bit. Hopefully I can finish them up this week. At the end of May, I have another class beginning. I know that in the future I will look back and miss college but right now, that seems unlikely. For now, I'm going to keep plugging away at my final projects and keep working as much overtime as my body allows. What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger, right?


"Go ahead and land 188. Pad three and shutdown."

No comments: