Sunday, January 9, 2011

Pilot: "For those of you wondering why our first officer just ran out of the airplane..."

Well here I am back in Juneau again. It was a long day yesterday full of sheer craziness. My first flight was upgraded to first class, which was very nice. The extra space was enjoyable but I had to laugh at the flight attendant who kept asking me questions like:
"Miss Peterson, can I hang up your coat for you?"
"Would you like a beverage while waiting for everyone to load, Miss Peterson?"
"Miss Peterson, there is a blanket in front of you if you are cold. Can I get you a snack?"
It was funny and almost annoying at times. The fight was short from Kansas City to Texas. I had a little time, two hours, to get something small to eat and take a restroom break. I'm not sure what happened but when I printed off my boarding passes at the beginning of my trip, all my window seats were taken away from me. On the long four hour flight from Texas to Seattle, I was stuck between two large men who just had to take up all the arm rests. It was the most uncomfortable ride ever. The man to my left must have been one of those secret security dudes. He was given free drinks and stuff. I found it funny that he passed out for most of the trip, until he started twitching in his sleep. HA! It was weird. The old man to my right kept elbowing me and never once said sorry. The whole trip, everyone was talking about football. I was sitting in the mist of the Eastern Washington University Eagles (football). Apparently they had just won the national championship. That explained why there were so many big men there! It was crowded.
After another short (2 hr) layover in Seattle, I boarded a plane with salmon carpet. No I'm not talking about the color salmon. There were actual fish on the carpet and walls of the plane. I was in row 26B, another middle seat. By the way, there were only 27 rows. In the seats behind me were three kids, their grandparents sitting across the aisle. These kids made me rethink my major. haha.
Just when I thought we were getting ready to push back from the airport and taxi onto the runway, the pilot came over the intercom:
"For those of you who may have just watched my first officer run off the plane, we have just realized the air conditioning is not working in this aircraft. We will be changing planes. Unload the plane and head to gate C18."
So there we all were, waiting for the tram from gate N to gate C. No one could understand why an airplane would need air conditioning when it is flying into Alaska. I'm not buying the story. So anyways, we all loaded into another airplane, the Disney one, and waited for stupid paper work to be finished before we could fly out. We were an hour late taking off and my head was hurting so bad I thought I might be sick. The screaming kids behind me didn't help. Three hours later we landed in Ketchican so that the plane could unload a few passengers and de-ice. A little over an hour after that we landed in Juneau.
A good friend of mine, Susie, was waiting for me at the airport and we took my bags and promptly left for the school. I was surprised to find the CA's still checking in people at the campus lodge. It was about 12AM when I unpacked a fitted sheet and curled up with a little brown fuzzy blanket and pillow (Thanks Jamie!). What a horribly long day.
Today I managed to pry open my solid brick of ice out in the parking lot, also known as a car. I now have my comforter for my bed and a few big pillows. It's 1:40pm right now and I just finished listening to Kansas City lose and Georgia Tech win. Now, I think I will unload some more of my car and maybe venture out on the public transit. We'll see!
Classes start tomorrow! and so does my workout! Wish me luck!
(You know it's going to be a good semester when there are Ninja Turtles on your door)

No comments: