Monday, September 28, 2009

ONE YEAR!... wow

I was updating my blog layout to look more 'fall-ish' when I noticed something. Looking at my blog archive, my very first post on here was on September 24th. That was right after I had been accepted to the University of Alaska Southeast. I remember the day. I wasn't really expecting the letter to come. I thought maybe I needed to send another transcript or something when I ripped open the letter and saw my new school had let me in. It all seemed surreal and looking back, I really had no clue what to expect.
But I took a leap of faith. I had so many ideas in my head. I thought I knew what I wanted to do with my life. I thought I had finally figured out what God wanted me to do with my life. I was so far off! After arriving in Juneau, I learned very fast that I did not know what God wanted for me.
Today, I think God brought me to Juneau for a reason. He wanted me out of that small town I grew up in. He wanted me to grow not only through him, but also as a young adult. He wanted me to see that going to seminary was not the best choice for me. I can help youth through teaching. I can be a mentor and good role model. He opened my eyes to a world I had never seen before. And to this day, He has helped me overcome some situations that would have cracked me very easily in Richmond. Here I have grown in many ways and met many amazing people. I have finally found a church that feels like an awesome fit. I have made friends, lost friends, given advice, taken advice, but most importantly I have watched it all unfold before my eyes.
I think back to when summer was first arriving here in Juneau this year. People said it would be a horrible summer like last year because we had had such an unusual amount of snow fall. They were wrong but anyways...I remember going to The Shrine for the first time, once the snow had melted. It was so green and so bright. It seemed as if it had just grown overnight into this beautiful place that no one knew about but me. It was peaceful. I remember looking out over the water and finally comprehending the fact that I was miles and miles away from my family, everything I had grown up with, everything I knew...and I was doing just fine. Better then fine actually. I was on top of the world.
I love this section of that original post:

"I cannot possibly put into words how excited and nervous I am about this decision. A lot still has to fall into place in order to make this possible... However, God has paved the way thus far and I am sure will be at my side for the rest of the trip."

Little did I know that I would stumble across Era, my summer job. If you have followed this blog or know me today then you know that I LOVED that job and will be returning this next summer. It has changed my life in a great way! Era sparked a passion in me to learn about Helicopters. Seeing some of the amazingly independent women that I worked with and that came through daily, made me want to be more independent. It made me realize that the education I am finishing now really will count for something and that the more I have going for me, the less I have going against me. I'm sure God put his hand in on that one.
What an incredible year it has been. One of ups and downs, twists and turns, and especially one of growth and maturity. Now as the snowline drops down the mountain side, and yes it is already dropping, I am finding it a reminder of how lost I was when i first flew in through those mountains and into that snow. It is a reminder of where I have been and where I will go. A reminder that I am literally and figuratively on top of the world.

♥ Melissa

"Carry your candle, Run to the darkness.
Seek out the hopeless, confused and torn.
Hold out your candle for all to see it.
Take your candle and go light your world."


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa- I am proud of you for soaking in this big place. It is always amazing to me when people leave Alaska and haven't been changed by their experience here. I think this is one of those places where you can't deny that there is a God. Watch a whale breach or look down from the top of a mountain and something in you is humbled.
I am glad you found a church, and it is a solid one.. I am excited for your journey into yourself and think that this is just the place to find more than what you bargained for.
LOVE the new lay out BTW!!
Nhooley

Anonymous said...

Melissa- I am so proud of the girl you were and the young lady you have become! I miss you greatly but am glad you are out exploring yourself and the world! I admire your adventuresome ways!

Love ya,
Piper