Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Seasonal Depression

I am looking outside right now. It is so gorgeous. It's raining but then it rains nearly every day in fall. The trees look so bright with the coat of water on them. There is a tree next to the lunch building that is nearly glowing. It is bright yellow and orange in fall colors. Some days I just want to stand and watch it for a bit but then the people passing by might think i was crazy. haha. Everything is changing here. This is a season I have not yet been in AK during and I am not sure how to take it. I love the new colors in the surrounding nature and I love watching the snow line drop down the mountain but at the same time I am in a little bit of a funk. I feel like I am not getting enough rest yet some days I am sleeping 10 hours or more. I find myself in the library, or at The Shrine, just to stay away from the house. I don't like going back to the apt just to sit around and do homework. Yet, at the same time I NEED to be sitting around doing homework. It is taking it's toll on me.
Last night, I was sitting doing an annotated bibliography and waiting for my class to start when I got a phone call from a hysterical Katie. She was screaming in the phone and I thought someone was trying to kill her. Turn out she was watching Orcas breaching and feeding. there were five and a baby and they were showing the baby how to do these things. She told me to meet her at Sandy Beach and hopefully we would catch them there. (they were heading out with the tide and moving very quickly) So, I jumped in my car, not even thinking about my class. I needed to see these animals. I needed something to remind me of why I love Juneau. I needed some hope. I picked up Kalah and we flew down to Sand Beach. We arrived to see Katie jumping up and down and the first thing she said was "You missed them by like 10 seconds!!" That is just my luck.
So, instead of doing the responsible thing and going back to my class, we roamed the old mining trails behind the beach. It was gorgeous but nothing new, as I have seen them before. We stopped at a little cove for some pictures then headed to the Hanger for some dinner. After sitting nearly two hours trying to work out the bills with the waitress and manager, our checks were sorta fixed and we payed and left. Sigh. It has been one of those weeks where I feel like I could just cry at any second. Maybe once Eagle Crest, the ski resort, opens up I will be able to snowboard and will be happy again. We will see.
♥ Melissa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the S.A.D. - surround yourself with bright colors, exercise, lots of Vitamin C, steady sleep schedule so you always know what time it is when you wake up, moderate caffeine during the day and none after dinner, lots of whale watching, and good friends to keep you laughing even when it's pitch black outside. Hope things start to go better, Melissa.

Melissa Peterson said...

Thanks! I am working on the sleep schedule right now. :)